Ber died in 2005 after being "shocked" by the ring
of a mobile phone. Durham County Council had ruled at that time that the
college had acted correctly.
"We are very sorry that the parents feel it necessary
to take legal action in the circumstances of the tragic death of their
daughter," said Neil Charlton, head of business support services for
children and young people's services at Durham County Council. "As there
is the possibility of legal action being taken it would not be appropriate for
the county council to comment further."
It emerged that Miss Ber was suffering from a genetic
syndrome called Long QT syndrome.