by Dr. Trupti Shirole on  November 16, 2015 at 5:23 PM Dental News
 Eating Raisins and Dried Fruit can Ruin Your Teeth: Dr. Saara Sabir
While acknowledged to be nutritionally and developmentally beneficial, even healthy food items can adversely affect a child's dental health and cause severe problems in later life. Dr. Saara Sabir, a practicing dentist, has suggested that the most serious culprit of tooth decay was raisins and dried fruit.

Dr. Sabir said, "Many parents think they're a good option because they're packed with vitamins, but the concentrated sugar content in dried fruit is extremely detrimental to a child's teeth. A small packet of raisins has around eight teaspoons worth of sugar in."

Empowering Better Health



The recommended daily sugar allowance for children aged four to six years-old is no more than five sugar cubes. For children aged seven to ten, it is no more than six cubes.


Dr. Sabir further added, "The reason dried fruit poses a particular danger is also because of its consistency. Raisins are sticky and get stuck in teeth. Therefore the bacteria have a prolonged source of sugar, so it can cause decay for a longer period of time. Because of the nutritional value, it's better to give your child raisins as a dessert or part of a meal rather than a snack."

Source: ANI

Most Popular on Medindia