Doctors Extract LED Bulb from Seven-Month-Old Baby's Lungs

by Bidita Debnath on  January 25, 2018 at 10:57 PM Child Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

A 7-month-old baby was saved by doctors in Mumbai after they removed a LED bulb that was lodged in her lungs. The girl, Ariba Khan, who originally hails from Chiplun accidentally swallowed a LED bulb while playing with toy mobile which led to a persistent cough and fever.
Doctors Extract LED Bulb from Seven-Month-Old Baby's Lungs
Doctors Extract LED Bulb from Seven-Month-Old Baby's Lungs

Ariba had to wait for a week before the doctors could perform a bronchoscopy to remove the object as physicians in Ratnagiri couldn't diagnose why she had persistent cough and fever. A doctor of the Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital while talking about the case was quoted saying that the parents initially thought that Ariba had swallowed a thread or a small part of a toy.

Show Full Article


He added that they took her to a local physician who couldn't diagnose the condition but unfortunately her condition deteriorated within a week. An intravenous course of antibiotics and steroids were given for 2 days to clear the infection and granulations of the airway which blocked the foreign body."

On the third day, another bronchoscopy was performed, when the bulb became visible inside the lung. The doctors were then successfully able to remove the object.

Source: Medindia

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Premium Membership Benefits

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

News Category

News Archive