Getting rid of boring spectacles and wearing contact lenses may seem trendy but the complications associated with it are still unknown. Contact lenses can trigger eye infections that may even result in complete or partial blindness.
An elderly man in Braunton, England has been affected with a rare eye infection caused due to contact lenses. It has destroyed his cornea completely.
‘Around 1 in 50,000 contact lens wearers in the UK are affected by the Acanthamoeba Keratitis (AK), an infection caused by a microorganism found in water.’
The 63-year-old has been diagnosed with Acanthamoeba Keratitis (AK), an infection caused by a microorganism found in water.
Stephen Souter has been left blind in one eye from this infection that has been triggered by his contact lenses. He first noticed this problem when redness developed in his eye, After a visit to the doctor he was initially misdiagnosed with herpes. But later when he consulted another eye clinic, they interpreted the infection as AK.
He has been advised to use only two types of eye drops namely ï¿½ Polyhexanide and Brolene. The drops keep the pressure off the eye because if it gets too high, his eye could burst. Eventually, he completely lost his sight in the left eye.
"The trouble is, I get depressed with it. It has affected my whole life because I have not got sight in one eye. So I'm walking around with one eye and they don't even guarantee that I'll get it back. I can work but it has an influence on my work and what I do. Overall, it's had a massive effect on my life, I'm just hoping to see the end of it," he said.
Stephen is currently undergoing treatment to kill off the infection so that he will be eligible for a cornea transplant.