About My Health Careers Internship MedBlogs Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

Clinical Trial on Prevention of Child Abuse Using Degarelix Drug Underway in Sweden

by Reshma Anand on April 7, 2016 at 5:26 PM
Font : A-A+

Clinical Trial on Prevention of Child Abuse Using Degarelix Drug Underway in Sweden

A new drug is currently being tested out to see whether it can prevent the risk of abusing children among men.

Scientists at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden have started a clinical trial on a drug called degarelix to test its potential in controlling urge to sexually abuse children.

Advertisement


The drug was injected into five volunteers who said that they had thoughts on child abuse. The drug dramatically lowered levels of the male sex hormone testosterone, roughly to those of a prepubescent boy. Testosterone is linked to high sexual arousal and low empathy.

These results were found after three days of the trial. By scanning the participant's brain, they found that the drug also blocks receptors in the limbic system of the brain which promotes anger, thus limiting arousal.
Advertisement

Now they have decided to try out the same experiment among 60 people who have similar thoughts but are not child abusers. Previous studies by the same scientists found that 40 percent of the risk of committing a sex crime is genetic, with the remaining 60 percent was due to personal and environmental factors, such as being abused as a child.

Dr. Christoffer Rahm, Consultant Psychiatrist and post-doctoral researcher at the Karolinska Institute said, "Child sexual abuse is one of the most pervasive social problems today. This issue is hard to deal with, but we must, because it affects all of us. The goal of pilot is to reduce the number of child sexual abuses, intervening before the damage is done."

Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Advertisement
News A-Z
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
News Category
What's New on Medindia
Ways to Manage Stress during COVID-19 Pandemic
Can Adjusting Fatty Acid Intake Improve Mood in Bipolar Disorder Patients?
Insulin Resistance Doubles the Risk of Major Depressive Disorder
View all

Medindia Newsletters Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

More News on:
Drug Toxicity Clinical Trials Clinical Trials - The Past and The Future Clinical Trials - Different Phases of the trial Signature Drug Toxicity Drugs Banned in India Placebo Effects: Rare Insights Christianson Syndrome 
Recommended Reading
Christianson Syndrome
Christianson syndrome is a condition that occurs due to mutations (abnormal changes) in the gene SLC...
Clinical Trials
Clinical trials are experiments that yield useful information to clinicians if a particular treatmen...
Clinical Trials - Different Phases of the trial
Clinical trials serve as a vital component for improving the treatment of medical conditions as they...
Clinical Trials - The Past and The Future
Many of the drugs that are used today have been discovered by chance or often by mere serendipity...
Drug Toxicity
Drug toxicity is an adverse reaction of the body towards a drug that results as a side effect of a d...
Drugs Banned in India
Several drugs are either banned or withdrawn after introduction in the market....
Placebo Effects: Rare Insights
Placebo response is now generally well accepted. ‘Placebo response’ is the friend of the clinician a...

Disclaimer - All information and content on this site are for information and educational purposes only. The information should not be used for either diagnosis or treatment or both for any health related problem or disease. Always seek the advice of a qualified physician for medical diagnosis and treatment. Full Disclaimer

© All Rights Reserved 1997 - 2021

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use