Teen Predator Jailed for Eight Years in Australia

by Gopalan on  February 26, 2009 at 2:13 PM Medico Legal News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

 Teen Predator Jailed for Eight Years in Australia
A 19-year-old man who brutally attacked a primary school boy and his younger sister has been sentenced to eight years in jail. He was also awarded one more year for hitting a 61-year-old taxi driver on the head with a bottle in a separate incident.

Adam Bradley Field, 19, today pleaded guilty to four counts of sexually penetrating a child under the age of 13, two counts of indecently dealing with a child under the age of 13 and two counts of deprivation of liberty in the Perth District Court.

The court was told Field repeatedly raped the 11-year-old boy and his seven-year-old sister after luring them into bushland on November 10 last year.

Graphic details of the brutal attack on the two unsuspecting siblings walking home from school were read out in court by prosecutor Kate Cook.

The court was told Field had failed to lure a nine-year-old boy into park bushland before he approached the brother and sister.

He had been drinking at a tavern from the moment it opened until 2pm that day when he walked to a primary school - of which he used to be a student.

Field then entered the girls' toilet block about 2.30pm and tried to disguise his voice as that of a girl's while he occupied a cubicle. After the door opened, he was recognised by the teacher and was escorted home.

He then left his house and walked to the park, and after the nine-year-old brushed off his advances, he turned his attention to the siblings.

"He asked them if they wanted to see a stick in a cat's ear," Ms Cook told the court.

"Both were curious and they were led to the bush, where the offender became aggressive."

During the brutal sexual assault, he repeatedly attacked the children one by one, with the other sibling forced to look on.

The depraved attack on the girl was "so forceful" that she began to bleed profusely, Ms Cook said.

The court heard the brother then asked Field to stop, but "he was punched to the head three times, causing him to cry".

Ms Cook added: "He repeatedly threatened to assault them if they didn't comply with his demands."

He told the pair to count to thirty before he ran off, leaving them bleeding, traumatised and alone in a northern suburbs park.

After the distressed children came home, they were taken to Princess Margaret Hospital to receive treatment.

Both suffered bruises and abrasions, while the girl had to be put under anaesthetic during her examination "because of the stress" she was suffering.

"They were treated for STDs and they require ongoing medical reviews and blood screenings," Ms Cook said.

Field's lawyer Philip Urquhart told the court his client was disgusted and revolted. To highlight his sense of remorse, he said 'if I kill myself I can give a little back for what I've taken'."

The court heard Field himself was sexually abused when he was eight years old - which lasted several years - by a man known to the family. 

But he does not want to use that as an excuse and he does not want his lawyer to make excuses for his behaviour," Mr Urquhart said.

He also grew up in a dysfunctional family and was diagnosed with ADHD early in his life.

At 14 he began drinking excessively and smoking cannabis and found it difficult to establish friendships.

By October last year, Field was "off the rails" according to Mr Urquhart.

"He sold all his possessions - including his car - and stole from his mum ... even her wedding ring," he said.

"Whatever he could get his hands on (to sell in order to support his drug habit).

"He drove his mum to despair with his behaviour.

"By October, he was off the rails, and drinking as soon as he got up in the morning and did drugs. He became violent once he was intoxicated."

Mr Urquhart revealed his client "locked himself inside the school cubicle" on the day of the attack because he felt sick.

"He maintains there was nothing sinister about that," he said.

He added Field was ready to seek treatment for his problems.

Ms Cook said Field took advantage of the children - who were easily and physically overpowered by him - for his own self-gratification.

"Each were told to shut up and (do what he said) otherwise he'd hurt the other," she said.

"He corrupted the innocence, safety and security of the two children.

"The children were vulnerable and were helpless to intervene while watching each other being violated."

She said the attack was "horrendous and predatory" which "deserved no mercy from the court".

In sentencing, Judge Christopher Stevenson described the sexual assault as brutal and said, "You then left both children to fend for themselves in a bruised and battered state."

Field spent most of the hearing crouched forward in his seat with his head down. He will be eligible for parole, Joseph Sapienza reported for WA today.

Source: Medindia

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

News A - Z


News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

News Category

News Archive