At least three people have been died and over 50 hospitalised of a suspected chlorine leak at the Mumbai Port Trust near Sewri on Wednesday.
The gas leakage was reported in the vicinity of Lal Bahadur Shastri college here at 4. am. According to sources, fourteen students from the Lal Bahadur Shastri College also been affected. They have been admitted to JJ Hospital.
As a precautionary measure, people residing in and around the area have been evacuated. The Cause of the leakage is being probed.
Chlorine gas is a respiratory irritant. It causes eye irritation as well as nausea, vomiting, dizziness and headache.
If exposed a long period of time and in strong concentration, it can lead to restlessness, throat irritation and excess salivation.