Matthew Ellis , a 29 year old man from Gleadless, Sheffield, died after suffering brain damage caused by excessive water consumption.
According to his family, he returned after a night out and experienced excessive thirst which caused him to drink atleast twenty pints of water.
The family suspects that his drink was mixed with ecstasy which perhaps triggered excessive thirst.
The salt levels in his body plunged after he drank excessive water causing him to suffer a rare brain condition called extrapontine myelinolysis. He was hospitalized for 32 weeks and later died from a chest infection.
Expressing profound grief , Matthew's mother said, "He never took drugs. We are told drinking lots of water is good for you but what happened should be a warning."