About Careers MedBlog Contact us
Medindia LOGIN REGISTER
Advertisement

40 % of Lifetime Intelligence Accountable by Genes

by Nancy Needhima on January 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Font : A-A+

40 % of Lifetime Intelligence Accountable by Genes

People inherit 40 percent of their lifetime intelligence whereas the surroundings they grow up in affects the rest 60 percent, say researchers.

Scientists at University of Queensland, Australia studied a unique group of nearly 2000 unrelated people in Scotland who were tested for their intelligence, using the same test, at age 11 and again at age 65, 70 or 79 years.

Advertisement

Most people who began life with above average intelligence were above average when they were older, while others who had below average intelligence tended to stay below average, English.news.cn reported.

However, the researchers did notice that there were some whose intelligence improved and some whose got worse compared to others.

They also took genetic samples and quantified the role genes play in determining how much transformation there is in intelligence as we age.
Advertisement

"We estimate roughly a quarter to a third of that change is genetic," Professor Peter Visscher, lead author of the study said in a statement.

"Measuring detailed environmental factors over a person's entire life course is very difficult."

The study revealed that overall, environment contributes more than genes to determining intelligence, although, both play an important role.

Source: ANI
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Recommended Reading

This site uses cookies to deliver our services.By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Use  Ok, Got it. Close
×

40 % of Lifetime Intelligence Accountable by Genes Personalised Printable Document (PDF)

Please complete this form and we'll send you a personalised information that is requested

You may use this for your own reference or forward it to your friends.

Please use the information prudently. If you are not a medical doctor please remember to consult your healthcare provider as this information is not a substitute for professional advice.

Name *

Email Address *

Country *

Areas of Interests