Persons with Disabilities Rules, 1996 - Preliminary

Email Print This Page bookmark
Font : A-A+

Persons with Disabilities Rules, 1996

33004/96 Registered No. DL-33004/96

The Gazette of India
Part II - Section 3
Published By Authority
Ministry of Welfare


New Delhi, the 31st December, 1996

S.O. 908(E). - In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-sections (1) and (2) of sections 73 of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 (1 of 1996), the Central Government hereby make the following rules, namely:

Chapter I - Preliminary

Short Title and Commencement: -

 (1) These rules may be called the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Rules, 1996.
 (2) They shall come into force on date of their Publication in the Official Gazette.

Definitions: - In these rules unless the context otherwise requires:

   1. "Act" means the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 (1 of 1996);

   2. "Chairperson" means a Chairperson appointed under the Act,

   3. "Vice Chairperson" means a Vice-Chairperson appointed under the Act;

   4. "Member" means a Member appointed under the Act;

   5. "Member-Secretary" means a Member-Secretary appointed under the Act;

   6. "Special Employment Exchange" means special employment exchange, special cell in normal employment exchange and such employment exchanges which are notified special employment exchanges by notification in the Official Gazette.

   7. "Year" means the financial year commencing on the first day of April.

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

Sir, I am a personal assistant in pvt. company. Due to long sitting on computer, I feel nausea and headache along with some visionary illusion in eyes. Am I suffering from low vision. how can I check. kindly let me know Manish

Akshit123, India

My Son Akshit Bangar Age 16 Years he is Patient of Cerebalpolcy so he is not above to write from hand and his legs not working properly i want how to apply for benefits for m child and what is the benefits for my child


Sir, As disabled person is already aggrived by his injury, why to force him to go door to door and suffer, is there any way that he would get service at his place or by email, because i had sent one email on Chief Commisioner's mail id, but whether any action will be taken, i am hopeful

DATTA51, India

pl send me address of Chief commissioner or let me know where can I file a case on behalf of a person with disabilities

DATTA51, India

Wants to know the facilities available for self employment of my handicapped child like getting loan from bank for xerox centre , facilitity by allotment of a space in govt. premises.

View all Comments (13)

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store