Persons with Disabilities Rules, 1996 - Guidelines for evaluation and assessment of various disabilities

Email Print This Page bookmark
Font : A-A+

Chapter II - Guidelines for evaluation and assessment of various disabilities

       The general guidance for evaluation and assessment of various disabilities issued by the Government of India in the Ministry of Welfare vide No. 4-2/83-HW.III dated the 6th August, 1986 and as may be amended from time to time, shall be followed for evaluation of various disabilities specified in section 2(b),(e),(l),(n),(o),(q),(r),(t), and (u) of the Act.

Authorities to give disability Certificate. - (1) A Disability Certificate shall be issued by a Medical Board duly constituted by the Central and the State Government. (2) The State Government may constitute a Medical Board consisting of at least three members out of which at least one shall be a specialist in the particular field for assessing locomotor/visual including low vision/hearing and speech disability, mental retardation and leprosy cured, as the case may be.

   1. The Medical Board shall, after due examination, give a permanent disability certificate in cases of such permanent disabilities where there are no chances of variation in the degree of disability.

   2. The Medical Board shall indicate the period of validity in the certificate, in cases where there is any chance of variation in the degree of disability.

   3. No refusal of disability certificate shall be made unless an opportunity is given to the applicant of being heard.

   4. On representation by the applicant, the Medical Board may review its decision having regard to all the facts and circumstances of the case and pass such order in the matter as it thinks fit. 

      The Certificate issued by the Medical Board under rule 5 shall make a person eligible to apply for facilities, concessions and benefits admissible under schemes of the Government or Non Governmental Organisations, subject to such conditions as the Central or the State Government may impose.


Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

Sir, I am a personal assistant in pvt. company. Due to long sitting on computer, I feel nausea and headache along with some visionary illusion in eyes. Am I suffering from low vision. how can I check. kindly let me know Manish

Akshit123, India

My Son Akshit Bangar Age 16 Years he is Patient of Cerebalpolcy so he is not above to write from hand and his legs not working properly i want how to apply for benefits for m child and what is the benefits for my child


Sir, As disabled person is already aggrived by his injury, why to force him to go door to door and suffer, is there any way that he would get service at his place or by email, because i had sent one email on Chief Commisioner's mail id, but whether any action will be taken, i am hopeful

DATTA51, India

pl send me address of Chief commissioner or let me know where can I file a case on behalf of a person with disabilities

DATTA51, India

Wants to know the facilities available for self employment of my handicapped child like getting loan from bank for xerox centre , facilitity by allotment of a space in govt. premises.

View all Comments (13)

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store