Blount's Disease / Growth Disorder

Blount’s Disease | Growth Disorder - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Which doctor should I consult for Blount’s disease?

A: You should consult a pediatric orthopedic (bone specialist for children) surgeon.


Q: Can bowed legs be considered to be a deformity?

A: Yes, this is true in the case of Blount’s disease. But in case of physiological bowed legs, it is not considered to be a deformity as it becomes normal with age.

Q: Is Blount’s disease genetic?

A: A genetic link has been suggested as a possible cause of Blount’s disease.

Q: Can bowed legs cause knee problems?

A: Yes, especially if left untreated.

Q: How can I tell if my child has Blount’s disease?

A: If you see bowing of one or both of the legs, it could be due to Blount’s disease and you should immediately consult a pediatric orthopedic surgeon.

Q: Is it possible to cure Blount’s disease?

A: Yes, if diagnosed at an early age and with timely treatment.

Recommended Reading