Aortic valve Stenosis - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Which specialist doctor should I consult if I am suspected to have Aortic valve Stenosis?

A: You should consult a cardiologist.


Q: Which specialist doctor will do the Aortic valve replacement surgery?

A: A cardiothoracic surgeon will do the surgery of valve replacement.

Q: What is the difference between a cardiologist and cardiothoracic surgeon?

A: Cardiologist is a physician and Cardiothoracic surgeon is a surgeon who does surgical operations.

Q: What types of Aortic Valves are available?

A: If available a natural valve that is donated by a cadaver and preserved can sometimes be used, otherwise an artificial valve maybe used.

Q: After surgery why should I take blood thinning tablets for rest of my life?

A: If you have an artificial valve it can cause clotting of blood hence you require to take these tablets.

Q: How long will the surgery of valve replacement take?

A: It would usually take 3 to 4 hours.

Q: How long would it take for me to fully recover?

A: Usually discharge from hospital takes 10 to 12 days and after this it would take another month to be fully recovered, The wound healing continues for up to 6 months.

Recommended Reading