, Jan. 31, 2020
/PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Eating disorders are among the most complex and have the highest mortality rate of any other psychiatric illness. There are many biological, psychological and sociological factors that play a role in the development of an eating disorder. While recovery from an eating disorder can be difficult, it is possible to achieve a full and sustained recovery.
The impact of art therapy on eating disorder recovery has been shown to be a powerful treatment tool and is the heartbeat of the iaedp™ annual "Imagine Me Beyond What You See" Body Image Art Competition. Celebrating its 10th year in 2020, the "Imagine Me Beyond What You See" Body Image Art Competition promotes healthy awareness and acceptance of body images and has expanded to include all media forms, including visual, three-dimensional, mixed media art, poetry/spoken word, music and dance/performance art.
Originally the art competition used mannequins to artistically reflect an artist's perception of beauty and body image, but this year, the competition has expanded to a multimedia art contest, open to everyone. Additionally, iaedp™ is expressly asking treatment centers and private practices who have art therapists or who use art to work with clients to submit entries created by them.
2020 Judges include Michelle Dean, MA, AR-BC, LPC, CGP, HLM (DVATA)/ Board Certified Art Therapist, Licensed Professional Counselor and Certified Group Psychotherapist; Rebecca Cerra Tishman Interdisciplinary Artist, 2011 Imagine Me Winner & 2014 Imagine Me Runner Up; Carlus Houston
, iaedp™ Member, Mental Health Professional and Spoken Word Artist.
Judging is based on clarity of theme, creativity and originality, quality of composition/design/choreography/performance and the overall impression and presentation.
2020 "Imagine Me Beyond What You See" art competition entries include:
- Entry 1 – Mannequin - "Reaching Within" by PHP Art Therapy Group, Veritas Collaborative Adult Hospital - Durham, NC
- Entry 2 – Mannequin - "Journey to Our Authentic Selves (Lettie)," Laura M Riss, PsyD/Kaiser Permanente - Atlanta, GA
- Entry 3 – Mannequin - "Home Sweet Home," Rogers Behavioral Health - Oconomowoc, WI
- Entry 4 – Mannequin - "Resurgam," Jeanine Cyze, strongly recovered eating disorders survivor - Celebration, FL
- Entry 5 – Mannequin - "The illusion of an Eating Disorder," Emerald Smith, Hidden River Eating Disorders Residential - Chester, NJ
- Entry 6 – Dance - "Desert Rose," Rebecca Brown, LCSW - Brooklyn, NY
- Entry 7 – Book Pages - "Innerland The Blueprint of Life," Madeleine Bowman, Shannon Bradley, ATR-BC, LCAT - New York, NY
During the iaedp™ 2020 Symposium at the Omni at ChampionsGate in Orlando
from March 26
– 29, Imagine Me poster images will be displayed gallery-style with the Winner, Runner-Up, Honorable Mention and Professional's Choice honors awarded during a special ceremony.
The Professionals Choice Award allows members, supporters and the public to vote for their favorite entry. Review Entries here and then make your vote count. Only one vote per person is allowed but you share with colleagues, friends and your social media family. VOTE NOW!
About the iaedp™ Foundation: Since 1985, the International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals has provided education and training standards to an international and multidisciplinary group of various healthcare treatment providers and helping professions. MemberSHARE.iaedp.com is an iaedp™ business journal and online member resource to learn about noteworthy member achievements, continuing education webinars and U.S. and international chapter activity and events; for more information, visit MemberSHARE.
The Presidents Council provides iaedp™ support and includes: Center for Change; Center for Hope of the Sierras; Center for Discovery; Eating Recovery Center; Willow Place
; Laureate Eating Disorders Program; McCallum Place Eating Disorder Centers; The Meadows Ranch; Rogers Behavioral Health; Rosewood Centers for Eating Disorders; Selah House; The Renfrew Center; Timberline Knolls; Turning Tides Eating Disorder Treatment Center; Veritas Collaborative; Focus Treatment Centers; Alsana Eating Disorder Treatment & Recovery Centers; Silver Hill Hospital and Walden Behavioral Care.
The 2020 iaedp™ Symposium is proud to announce Bronze Sponsors: ViaMar Health, Eating Disorder Recovery Specialists, Simple Practice, Transcend ED and Fairwinds Treatment Center.
More information about all aspects regarding iaedp™ and its 2020 Symposium can be found at iaedp.com.
SOURCE iaedp Foundation