BALTIMORE, Aug. 6, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Microscopy and Microanalysis 2018 -- Thermo Fisher
Scientific, the world leader in serving science, today announced new additions and advancements to its leading portfolio of electron microscopy and microanalysis solutions, raising the bar for academic and industrial customers who are working on today's most difficult materials science and life sciences problems.
Thermo Fisher will display its newest innovations at the Microscopy and Microanalysis 2018 Meeting (booth 1112) at the Baltimore Convention Center.
"Our electron microscopy and microanalysis solutions help drive groundbreaking discoveries in some of the most difficult areas of materials and life sciences," said Mike Shafer, president, materials and structural analysis, Thermo Fisher. "From pushing the boundaries of tool and component performance to helping speed the path to understanding and treating viruses and diseases, we're committed to developing new products and continuously improving existing ones so scientists can focus on their important research."
New Products Elevate Electron Microscopy and Microanalysis Solutions
Thermo Fisher is introducing new solutions that take electron microscopy and materials characterization to the next level:
- Thermo Scientific Phenom Pharos microscope: The Thermo Scientific Phenom Pharos microscope is the first desktop scanning electron microscope (SEM) solution from Thermo Fisher that includes a field emission gun (FEG). It is easy to operate and incorporates an advanced hardware design that enables fast time-to-image and easy handling. With this new instrument, Thermo Fisher now offers academic and industrial customers a complete portfolio of SEMs, ranging from desktop instruments to high-end floor models.
- Thermo Scientific Lumis EBSD detector: The new Thermo Scientific Lumis electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD) detector is used in SEM to study crystalline and polycrystalline materials, and allows material scientists, metallurgists and geoscientists to understand the structure, crystal orientation and phase of SEM samples and monitor structural transformations in samples. It combines advanced optics with a new complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (CMOS) sensor that collects more than 2.2 megapixels, the largest number of pixels of any EBSD detector on the market. The detector is integrated with Thermo Scientific Pathfinder 2.0 microanalysis software to complement EDS or WDS analysis.
- S-CORR probe corrector for Themis Z: Thermo Fisher's newest Thermo Scientific Themis Z scanning transmission electron microscope (STEM) builds on its sub-Angstrom STEM imaging capability with S-CORR, the next generation in probe aberration correction. With S-CORR, the Themis Z microscope is designed to deliver unsurpassed STEM imaging and spectroscopy performance at low accelerating voltages, allowing scientists to analyze materials such as batteries, fuel cells, catalysts and lightweight metals and alloys that have historically been difficult to image. By improving the probe size and shape, while preserving sample integrity during investigation, researchers can better understand how to improve the performance of materials by revealing their structure and chemistry at the atomic level.
Product Advancements Accelerate Scientific Research
In addition to introducing several new solutions, Thermo Fisher is showcasing advancements in its portfolio of instruments, workflows and applications that enable scientists to accelerate their research.
- Thermo Scientific STEM Maps and EDS Maps Software: The STEM Maps and EDS Maps software now includes performance increases and connection to energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS), allowing users to complement high resolution imaging performance and elemental information from large areas across multiple imaging platforms.
- HeliScan microCT analyzer: The updated Thermo Scientific HeliScan microCT is designed to provide improved resolutions down to 400 nanometers (nm), enabling materials science researchers to gain an even better understanding of their samples.
- Cryo-Electron Microscopy Single Particle Analysis (cryo-EM SPA): Visitors to the booth will learn about increased automation, simplified alignments, and optical enhancements for our cryo-TEMs. The company is also offering a free online cryo-EM school platform in collaboration with Professor Grant Jensen, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA/USA.
- Cryo-EM Tomography: This new integrated cryo-tomography workflow is being showcased for the first time at M&M. It seamlessly integrates light microscopes from Leica with cryo-electron microscopes from Thermo Fisher, providing researchers and scientists faster and better insight into the mechanisms of diseases.
- DualBeam Microscope Advances: For more than 25 years, Thermo Fisher has pioneered DualBeam-focused ion beam scanning electron microscopes (FIB-SEMs). The company is extending its DualBeam microscopes with state-of-the-art automation software that enables the highest-quality sample preparation for users of all experience levels in the shortest amount of time. It also now includes advanced 3D materials characterization and a Python-based scripting engine to automate experiments. The company has also added plasma FIB-SEM DualBeams to broaden the length scale and increase throughput and is introducing a multiple species source to broaden the applications space.
Live Demos of Tools and Software
Thermo Fisher will offer live demos of several microscopy tools and software designed to keep organizations at the cutting edge of discovery, including SEM, cryo-EM and TEM systems. To learn more, please visit http://em-events.thermofisher.com/MM2018.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 70,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services. For more information, please visit thermofisher.com.
Media Contact Information:Kathy GillThermo Fisher Scientific+1 email@example.com
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/thermo-fisher-scientific-showcases-new-electron-microscopy-and-microanalysis-solutions-at-mm-2018-300692016.html
SOURCE Thermo Fisher Scientific