1. Behavior: International IBS Awareness Month: Self-Hypnosis Can Help 2. Nutrition: Importance of Fiber for Kids 3. Health: Labor and Delivery: C-Section Trends 4. Health: Fibroadenomas and the Pathology Behind the Good News 5. Home: Allergy Proofing Your Bedroom
1. BEHAVIOR: INTERNATIONAL IBS AWARENESS MONTH: LEARNING SELF-HYPNOSIS CAN HELP. MICHAEL ELLNER, an
2. NUTRITION: IMPORTANCE OF FIBER FOR KIDS. DR. JAMES SEARS, pediatrician and co-host of the nationally syndicated show, "The Doctors": "Research shows 90 percent of children don't get enough fiber in their diets. In 2009, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) significantly increased the recommended daily fiber intake standards for children 2 years and older. Originally an 'age plus five' rule to calculate the recommended amount of fiber grams a child should consume daily, the new guidelines are significantly higher. What was once a nine-gram recommendation for a four year old, for instance, the AAP now advises 25 grams of fiber per day for this same child. Considering a medium apple has around three grams of fiber, that's quite a bit of additional apples -- or fiber grams -- to get into a picky eater's diet." Sears can offer tips on how parents can get more fiber into their kids' daily diets by incorporating a few dietary changes. Sears can also explain why fiber is essential for helping to support proper gastrointestinal health, and how it is especially good for children because it helps to keep them regular; how not getting enough fiber can affect a child; and how parents can recognize, treat and prevent constipation. "The Doctors" is produced in Los Angeles. News Contact: Laura Giardina, email@example.com Phone: +1-914-241- 0086, ext. 20 (3/26/10)
3. HEALTH: LABOR AND DELIVERY: C-SECTION TRENDS. GARY HANKINS, M.D., chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL BRANCH (UTMB), a women's health expert and one of "America's Top Doctors for Women," according to Women's Health, is available to discuss cesarean section trends/issues, including new NIH recommendations on vaginal birth after cesareans (VBACs): "We can't say if a patient will have a successful VBAC, but we can and must explain the risks, including a 1 to 2 percent chance of a ruptured uterus and a one in 500 chance of a birth injury, such as cerebral palsy. Ideally, delivery method is a woman's choice, but it is the physician's responsibility to provide a realistic picture of the risks." Hankins is located in Galveston, Texas. News Contact: Brianne O'Donnell, firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +1-212-220-4444 (3/26/10)
4. HEALTH: FIBROADENOMAS AND THE PATHOLOGY BEHIND THE GOOD NEWS. DR. OLGA FALKOWSKI, pathologist and associate medical director of ACUPATH LABORATORIES in New York: "About 40 percent of women will discover a breast lump at some point in their lives. The American Cancer Society says that most breast masses are benign. So while breast cancer is the second most common cancer among American women, if a woman discovers a lump or detects an uncharacteristic breast change, there's still a good deal of reason for optimism. Benign breast lumps, called fibroadenomas, are breast tumors that are made of glandular and fibrous breast tissue. Fibroadenomas are usually single lumps that feel firm, round, smooth, rubbery and are movable. Women should consult their doctors for a medical examination and an accurate pathological diagnosis to evaluate any suspicious lumps." News Contact: Melissa Chefec, email@example.com Phone: +1-203-968-6625 (3/26/10)
5. HOME: ALLERGY PROOFING YOUR BEDROOM. JAMES BELL, CEO of PROTECT-A-BED, a leading provider of allergen-proof bedding products, can comment on the need to address indoor allergies, in addition to outdoor allergies, during spring: "Many people think of pollen and the outdoors when they consider allergies this time of year, but two of the largest allergy triggers -- dust mites and pet dander -- are found in the home all year. The bedroom is particularly problematic for allergy sufferers, which is why allergen-proof bedding is so important in the home." Bell can offer information on allergy products for the bedroom, why they're important for allergy sufferers and characteristics necessary to make them effective. Bell is based out of Chicago. News Contact: Laura Morarity, firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +1-206-300-6638 (3/26/10)
PROFNET is an exclusive service of PR Newswire. To submit an Opportunity by e-mail: email@example.com To consult the ProfNet Experts Database: http://www.prnewswire.com/profnet To contact ProfNet by phone: +1-800-PROFNET, ext. 1 To share a thought on ProfNet Expert Alerts: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Steroids are miracle drugs but have to be used with caution. Some steroids are illegal to use, ...
Abruptio placenta is a serious but rare complication of pregnancy where a separation of placenta ...
Cyanosis is the bluish or purplish discoloration of the skin and mucus membranes due to lack of ...View All