TITUSVILLE, N.J., Feb. 21, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- New real-world findings published in The Journal of Clinical
"In addition to its impact on the individual, TRD poses a substantial burden to healthcare payers and employers, costing an estimated $29 billion to $48 billion annually in the U.S.3," said Paul Greenberg, health economics research expert and Director of Analysis Group's Health Care Practice. "These findings underscore the urgent need for novel treatments that will help alleviate the individual burden for those living with TRD, while also providing tremendous societal benefits."
Click to Tweet: New analysis highlights economic toll of treatment-resistant #depression and the urgent need for more research to support the ~5 million people living with this illness. http://po.st/LK3iIr
Based on a review of two years of data from a U.S. claims database of privately-insured employees and their dependents, healthcare costs and resource utilization were determined by evaluating the direct costs on the healthcare system, such as inpatient or outpatient services, and indirect costs including work productivity and employment.
"These insights stress that more work needs to be done to develop resources and treatments that can address this burden and help these individuals lead healthier, more fulfilling lives," said Larry Alphs, Therapeutic Area Lead, Mood, Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. "At Janssen, we are committed to researching innovative therapies for people living with depression who do not respond to current treatment options."
To learn more, see the full study here: http://www.psychiatrist.com/JCP/article/Pages/2018/v79n02/17m11725.aspx
About the StudyThe matched-cohort analysis, which was sponsored by Janssen, used a claims-based algorithm to identify adults with TRD from the OptumHealth Care Solutions, Inc. database of more than 19.1 million privately-insured employees and their dependents. People with TRD were matched on demographics to people with major depressive disorder without TRD and people without depression. Among 39,479 treated people with major depressive disorder, 6,411 (16 percent) people met the criteria for TRD with a median time-to-TRD of nine months, while the remaining 33,068 (84 percent) comprised the non-TRD cohort (prior to matching). People with depression were required to meet the following criteria: (a) have at least one diagnosis, (b) have at least one claim for an antidepressant starting from the index date without antidepressant claims six months before, (c) have at least one diagnosis for at least six months prior or after the index date, and (d) have claims for at least one antidepressant with an adequate dose and duration after the index date. Costs, healthcare resource utilization and employment status change were compared over two years following the first antidepressant, or a randomly imputed date for people without depression, adjusting for baseline comorbidity index and costs. People with TRD were mostly female (64 percent) with a mean age of 40.5 years. Study limitations include: potential underreported claims due to social stigma of depression, lack of full range of presenteeism (working while impaired) outcomes in employment data, possible inaccuracies in healthcare and disability claims, and the potential for results to not reflect the general population, as the claims database only included those who were privately insured.
About Major Depressive Disorder (Depression) Each year, approximately 16 million adults in the U.S. have at least one major depressive episode.1 Depression is the leading cause of disability in the U.S. for people aged 15-44 and the second leading cause of disability worldwide.4,5 Individuals with depression experience continuous suffering from a serious, biologically based disease which has a significant negative impact on all aspects of life, including quality of life and function.6
About the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & JohnsonAt the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com. Follow us at www.twitter.com/JanssenGlobal and www.twitter.com/JanssenUS. Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson.
MEDIA CONTACT:Kaitlin Meiser+1 firstname.lastname@example.org
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-real-world-analysis-published-in-the-journal-of-clinical-psychiatry-illuminates-the-significant-economic-toll-of-treatment-resistant-depression-on-individuals-employers-and-payers-300601678.html
SOURCE Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!