Komen NJ Race for the Cure Promises a Great Adventure at Six Flags

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 General News
Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

LAWRENCEVILLE, N.J., Sept. 18 On Sunday, October 14, 2007,the 14th Annual Komen NJ Race for the Cure(R) will be held at Six Flags GreatAdventure in Jackson, NJ. The Race, hosted by Susan G. Komen for the CureCentral and South Jersey, includes a USTAF certified Women's and Men's 5K Run,a Co-Ed 2.5 and 1 mile walk, and Children's Fun Runs. The festivities beginat 8:30 am and the Race Day event registration fee is $30 for adults and $15for children 10 and under. To pre-register for the Race, sign up tovolunteer, or for more information go to www.komencsnj.org or call609-896-1201.

Attracting over 20,000 participants, survivors and activists, the Race forthe Cure is the largest 5K race in New Jersey. More than a walk and run, theRace brings together breast cancer survivors, loved ones, supportive communitymembers, and local organizations for one cause -- to save lives. It is a dayof hope, remembrance, and inspiration for all.

After 13 years in the Princeton area, this is the first year that SixFlags will host the event. "We are so excited about this partnership with SixFlags. The new location is accessible to Komen supporters throughout ourservice area and will help the Race to continue to grow," stated Nancy Healey,Executive Director of Komen Central and South. In addition to hosting theevent, Six Flags will offer half price admission to the theme park followingthe Race to any registered Race participant. Additionally, Six Flags willdonate $5 from each admission purchased by race participants back to Komen."This gives people the opportunity to make a day out of the Race. Weanticipate our long-time supporters will follow up to Great Adventure as wellas gain new participants."

This year's event is expected to raise $2.1 million dollars. The Race maybe one day in October, but its impact is felt all year long. Founded on apromise, Susan G. Komen for the Cure works to save lives and end breast cancerforever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizingscience to find the cures. Of the net proceeds from the Race, 25% willsupport national breast cancer research programs and the remaining 75% willstay in the local community. Komen Central and South Jersey's vision is toreduce late stage diagnoses of breast cancer through aggressive education andscreening initiatives throughout the affiliate's 13 county service area.

"We rely on the support of our sponsors, volunteers, team captains anddonors to make the Race a success and are truly grateful for their continuedsupport," said Healey. Local Race sponsors include Six Flags Great Adventure,L'Oreal Paris, Women's Club of Westlake, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Dick's SportingGoods, Johnson & Johnson, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey,Commerce Bank, Abraxis BioScience, SES Americom, LifeCell, sanofi-aventis,Waterford Crystal, and Norvartis Oncology.

About the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Central and South Jersey

More than $15 million dollars have been put back into the communities ofthe 13 counties that make up the service area of Susan G. Komen for the CureCentral and South Jersey. Komen Central funds breast health education andresearch programs investing nearly $1.5 million in 2007 into the localcommunity. For more information about Susan G. Komen for the Cure Central andSouth Jersey, breast health or breast cancer, visit www.komencsnj.org or call609-896-1201.

About Six Flags Great Adventure

Six Flags, Inc., founded in 1961, is the world's largest regional themepark company. Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly-traded corporation (NYSE: SIX)headquartered in New York City. Six Flags Great Adventure, the largest SixFlags park in the system, is one of three properties located in New Jersey andalso feature the Wild Safari and Hurricane Harbor.

SOURCE Susan G. Komen for the Cure

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
I agree to the terms and conditions

News A - Z


News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Press Release Category

Press Release Archive

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store