Air Charity Network Information And Resources Regarding Angel Flight

Thursday, August 14, 2008 General News
Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

What is "Angel Flight?"

"Angel Flight" organizations are regional, independently-managed,non-profit groups comprised of volunteer pilots with private aircraft whoprimarily help people of limited means access specialized medical care, whichis often life-saving. Medical missions make up about 85% of charitableaviation activities while the other 15% of flights are dedicated to otherinitiatives including: helping children with rare diseases participate inspecial needs summer camps, responding to unique transportation needs in timesof disaster, helping families and communities when facing compellingsituations, and many others.

A majority of the country's largest "Angel Flight" organizationsconstitute the Air Charity Network, a group of charitable aviation leaders whoshare best practices, collaborate on joint projects, and work together to linkpassengers and pilots nationwide. The members of Air Charity Network arrangeabout 80% of the charitable flights provided to children and adults in need inthe United States.

Charitable aviation organizations nationwide are deeply saddened byyesterday's fatal accident in Massachusetts that claimed the life of apatient, his spouse and the pilot. We extend our heartfelt sympathies to thefamilies of those involved.

Charitable Aviation History:

Charitable aviation volunteers and partners have been transportingpassengers on medical and compassion flights for approximately 25 years. Thefirst charitable aviation organizations were founded in the early 1980s inseveral areas of the country.

In more than two decades of flying, the charitable aviation organizationsthat have been involved in Air Charity Network have made possible nearly160,000 "angel flights" or missions and transported passengers on what isapproaching 100 million miles nationwide. The more than 7,000 Angel Flightvolunteer pilots nationwide complete more than 20,000 charitable flightsannually. The three fatal "angel flight missions" this year with passengers onboard are the first in Air Charity Network's long history.

Volunteer Pilots:

Volunteer pilots involved in the member organizations of Air CharityNetwork are FAA licensed pilots who volunteer their time and donate the use ofprivate aircraft and fuel to their "Angel Flight" passengers at absolutely nocost to the passenger. The pilots must have logged at least 250 hours at thecontrols of an aircraft as Pilot in Command and are usually IFR certified,which means they can fly in low visibility conditions using only theaircraft's instruments.Media Contacts: Angel Flight Central: Christel Gollnick CEO/Executive Director, Angel Flight Central Spokesperson and Immediate Past Chair, Air Charity Network Cell Phone (Primary method of contact): 816-588-2730 Office: 816-421-2300, ext. 203 Email: Angel Flight Northeast: Amy Camerlin Angel Flight Northeast Spokesperson 781-932-6641 Angel Flight West: Alan Dias Executive Director, Angel Flight West Office: 310-390-2958 Mercy Flight Southeast: Mary Alice Alexander President and CEO, Mercy Flight Southeast Cell Phone: 352-255-2440 Office: 352-326-0761 Mercy Medical Airlift and Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic: Ed Boyer MMA President Office: 757-271-2286

SOURCE Air Charity Network

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
I agree to the terms and conditions

News A - Z


News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Press Release Category

Press Release Archive

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store