Read the side effects of Mesna as described in the medical literature. In case of any doubt consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, indigestion, unpleasant taste, gas and constipation
Central Nervous System:
Headache, dizziness, confusion, and drowsiness
Decrease or increase in blood pressure, abnormal heart rate, chestpain, accumulation of fluid in legs, face and around the eyes
, cough, rhinitis, pharyngitis, pneumonia
Rash, injection site reaction, itching, loss of hair, ulceration of the skin and mucosa, serious reactions like toxic epidermal necrolysis and Stevens-Johnson syndrome
Back pain, muscle pain, pain in the joints, extreme tiredness or weakness
Anemia (low red blood cell), leukopenia
(low white blood cell), thrombocytopenia (low platelet count), granulocytopenia (low count of granulocytes, which are types of white blood cells
Allergic reactions may be severe and include anaphylaxis
Other Precautions :
• Monitoring blood cell count and urine analysis to check the presence of blood in urine should be performed during the treatment.
• It is necessary to advise the patient to empty the bladder frequently during chemotherapy treatment especially in the first 24 hours after taking the medication.
• The patient should be advised to report immediately for any discoloration (pink or red color) of urine that may occur.
• Medicines that are injected into the vein must be pre-checked for any visible particulate matter, discoloration and leakage.
• Patients who feel stomach discomfort can take limited but frequent meals. Self-care tips to maintain adequate nutrition and plenty of rest can be advised.