Read the side effects of Atenolol as described in the medical literature. In case of any doubt consult your doctor or pharmacist.
• Heart- Slow heart rate, heart failure, low blood pressure.
• Central Nervous System- Headache, fatigue, dizziness, hallucinations, confusion and sleep disturbances.
• Gastrointestinal - Diarrhea and nausea.
• Respiratory - Wheezing and shortness of breath.
• Others: Lack of sexual drive, impotence, and erectile dysfunction.
Other Precautions :
The drug should be used with extreme precaution if the patient is having any of these conditions:
• Occasional numbness and tingling in the fingers.
• Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
• Diabetes, since it may mask the effects of low blood sugar levels.
• Hyperthyroidism, or high thyroid hormone levels.
• Kidney function problems, since the drug is eliminated from the body in the urine
• Liver function problems.
• Skin condition called psoriasis.
• Muscle weakness known as myasthenia gravis.
Regular blood pressure and blood sugar monitoring are recommended in the patient taking atenolol and also having any of the above conditions.