Sulphadimidine (500mg) (Acichem Labs)Tablet
Acichem Laboratories Generic : Sulfadimidine
600.00 500mg 1000 Tablets
• Sulfadimidine is a short-acting antibacterial agent.
• These medicines are grouped under synthetic antimicrobial agents that contain the sulfonamide group.
• These are commonly called as sulfa drugs.
• Skin: Allergic reactions such as rashes, itching and rarely causes serious skin reactions like Stevens-Johnson-Syndrome and epidermal necrolysis.
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
• Blood: Anemia, agranulocytosis (low white blood cell count), hemolytic anemia (anemia that occurs due to the rupture of red blood cell) and thrombocytopenia (reduced platelet count) in patients with glucose-6-phosphate deficiency.
• Others: Crystalluria (cloudy urine), pancreatitis, hepatitis, cholestatic jaundice, and fever.
• The recommended adult dose is 0.5 g to 1 g taken three or four times daily.
• Sulfadimidine comes as a tablet or suspension to be taken by mouth with food to avoid gastric discomfort.
• Antacids reduce the absorption of sulfadimidine, therefore antacids should be taken after 2 hours from sulfadimidine administration.
• Sulfadimidine should not be used in patients suffering from porphyria, a disorder with an excess chemical called porphyrin that affects nervous system and skin.
• It is not recommended in kidney failure patients because the drug is rapidly excreted in urine.
• Patients with G6PD (glucose 6 phosphate dehydrogenase) deficiency should not take sulfadimidine because of the occurrence of blood disorders such as anemia, agranulocytosis, hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia.
• It should not be used in patients allergic to the drug.
• Caution is needed in newborns as sulfadimidine induces jaundice by displacing bilirubin (bile pigment) from its binding protein.
• Use with caution in individuals with kidney or liver disease.
• A complete blood cell count should be monitored during the therapy to detect for various blood disorders.
• Drugs such as ascorbic acid increase the risk of crystalluria.
• The toxicity of methotrexate is increased by sulfadimidine.
• Metabolism of phenytoin, tolbutamide, and warfarin are inhibited by sulfadimidine resulting in accumulation of these drugs in the body.
• Clozapine, an antipsychotic drug taken together with sulfadimidine could increase the chances of blood problems.
• Stored at room temperature away from light and moisture.
• Keep out of reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!