Abatis Holistic Generic : Piracetam
54.00 400mg 10 Capsules
• Piracetam is a nootropic drug which enhances the cognitive function of the brain, an act of thinking, perceiving and understanding.
• It is used widely in Asia and Europe.
• In the United States, it is not approved by FDA but in U.K it is used in treating myoclonus.
• Gastrointestinal: Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting
• Central Nervous System: Headache, drowsiness, nervousness, agitation, anxiety, and insomnia (inability to sleep), confusion, and hallucination
• Skin: Allergic skin reactions such as skin rashes, itching or hives
• Others: Increased body movements, weight gain, and general weakness
a) For treating as a cognitive enhancer in cerebrocortical insufficiency:
• The usual adult dose is 2.4 g taken in two or three divided doses.
• The maximum adult dose is 4.8 g daily.
• The recommended adult dose is 1-2 g three times daily through intravenous or intramuscular administration.
b) For treating myoclonus:
• The starting dose is 7.2 g daily in two or three divided doses which may be increased if needed.
• The maximum dose should not exceed 20g daily.
• Piracetam comes as a tablet or syrup or injection. The tablets and the oral solution should be taken with sufficient quantity of water or soft drink to mask the bitter taste of piracetam.
• It can be taken with or without food but taken with food helps to minimize gastrointestinal disturbances.
• The injection can be given by either intramuscular or intravenous route of administration.
Piracetam is not recommended in:
• Allergic to the piracetam drug
• Children below 16 years of age
• People with the history of bleeding in brain (cerebral hemorrhage) or at a risk of bleeding
• Severe kidney and liver disease
• Pregnancy and lactation
• Huntington’s chorea, a progressive brain disease that causes movement disorders, emotional problems and loss of thinking ability.
• Blood urea nitrogen and creatinine levels should be monitored regularly in patients with kidney impairment.
• Liver enzymes and related parameters must be monitored to assess the liver function during the treatment with piracetam.
• Caution is required in treating patients with severe heart disease, the elderly or people with bleeding problems or who have recently undergone surgery.
• Piracetam may cause drowsiness and the user should not carry out skilled tasks such as driving or operating heavy machinery.
• Abrupt withdrawal of the medication should be avoided.
• Avoid excess dose.
• In case of overdose, the nearest emergency medical center should be contacted.
• Piracetam may increase the prothrombin time in patients who are taking anticoagulants such as warfarin. It may increase the risk of bleeding with other drugs with a similar effect on the blood.
• Anticonvulsant effects of anti-seizure drugs are reduced when taken together with piracetam.
• Piracetam could alter the effects of thyroid hormones, antipsychotic drugs, antidepressants and psychotropic drugs.
• Avoid piracetam with alcohol intake.
• Store in a cool, dry place away from excess heat and moisture.
• Keep the medicines out of reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!