Abbott Healthcare Pvt Ltd (AHPL) Generic : Imipenem and Cilastatin
• Skin :
Rash and hives.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, tooth or tongue discoloration and altered taste.
• Local: Inflammation, pain, vein inflammation and severe allergic reactions.
Adult: IV- Susceptible infections- As imipenem: 1-2 g/day in divided doses 6-8 hourly.
Surgical prophylaxis- As imipenem: 1 g on induction of anesth, followed by 1 g 3 hours later. Additional doses of 500 mg may be given at 8 and 16 hr after induction if needed.
IM- Susceptible infections- As imipenem: 500 or 750 mg 12 hourly.
Uncomplicated gonorrhoea- As imipenem: 500 mg as single dose.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider either into the vein or into the large muscle.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of seizures, brain injury, kidney, liver or gastrointestinal disease (especially colitis), asthma, who are taking other medications, any allergy, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• While taking this medication monitor blood sugar level in diabetic patients.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
Avoid excess dosage.
Avoid prolonged or long-term use of this medication.
Monitor kidney function, liver function and complete blood cell count while taking this medication.
Normally handled and stored by healthcare provider.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!