Apple Biotech Generic : Glibenclamide
₹ 18.50 500mg/5mg 10 Tablets
• Glibenclamide (glyburide) is an oral anti-diabetic drug.
• It is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes to control the blood sugar level.
• The treatment is started with a low dose of 2.5 mg per day, and increased up to a maximum of 20 mg per day according to the blood glucose levels.
Digestive tract: Nausea, vomiting, flatulence, abdominal fullness, diarrhea, constipation, heartburn, liver dysfunction
Skin: Rash, skin swelling, photosensitivity reactions (skin reactions following exposure to sunlight) including porphyria cutanea tarda (which is associated with an enzyme deficiency)
Blood: Low blood counts, low blood glucose levels, low blood sodium levels
Others: Tiredness, weakness, fever, other allergic reactions, weight gain, joint or muscle pain, vasculitis.
• This drug should be taken orally once daily after breakfast or after the first meal of the day.
Glibenclamide should not be used in patients with:
• Allergy to the drug
• Diabetic ketoacidosis, which requires insulin treatment
• Type 1 diabetes, where it is ineffective
• Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, due to the risk of breakdown of red blood cells (hemolytic anemia)
• Severe liver or kidney disease
It should also be avoided in:
• Pregnancy and breastfeeding
• Patients taking bosentan, due to a risk of liver damage
• Alcohol intake should be stopped while taking this drug since the combination can result in an unpleasant reaction called disulfiram-type reaction.
• Also, alcohol can also cause additional reduction in blood glucose levels.
• Glibenclamide can interact with the following medications when taken together:
• Drugs like non-steroidal painkillers, ciprofloxacin and propranolol can increase the chances of lowering the blood sugar levels below normal and resulting in hypoglycemia.
• Bosentan can increase the risk of liver damage.
• Thiazide diuretics, corticosteroids, and other drugs could increase blood sugar levels and result in loss of blood glucose control.
• Colesevelam, can reduce glibenclamide levels in the blood. Therefore, glibenclamide should be taken at least 4 hours before colesevelam.
• Should be stored at room temperature, keep it away from heat.