Betrol -Forte (Glibenclamide) Drug Price and Information
Glibenclamide (Betrol -Forte) is an oral hypoglycemic (glucose lowering) drug used to control blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes in addition to diet and exercise. It belongs to the chemical group of sulfonylureas.
Others: Tiredness, weakness, fever, other allergic reactions, weight gain, joint or muscle pain, vasculitis.
How to use Betrol -Forte?
• This drug should be taken orally once daily after breakfast or after the first meal of the day.
When Should Betrol -Forte not be taken? (Contraindications)
Glibenclamide should not be used in patients with:
• Allergy to the drug • Diabetic ketoacidosis, which requires insulin treatment • Type 1 diabetes, where it is ineffective • Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, due to the risk of breakdown of red blood cells (hemolytic anemia) • Severe liver or kidney disease
It should also be avoided in: • Pregnancy and breastfeeding • Patients taking bosentan, due to a risk of liver damage
Warnings and Precautions for Betrol -Forte
• Monitor blood sugar level on a regular basis during the treatment
• Patients undergoing stressful conditions like fever, trauma or surgery may require temporary switching to insulin
• Use with caution in patients with diabetes-related nerved damage or with endocrine disorders
• Patients should be taught to recognize symptoms of low blood sugar and how to treat it on an emergency basis.
• They should be advised to contact an emergency center at the earliest.
Other Precautions for Betrol -Forte
• Alcohol intake should be stopped while taking this drug since the combination can result in an unpleasant reaction called disulfiram-type reaction. • Also, alcohol can also cause additional reduction in blood glucose levels.
Drug Interactions of Betrol -Forte
• Glibenclamide can interact with the following medications when taken together:
• Drugs like non-steroidal painkillers, ciprofloxacin and propranolol can increase the chances of lowering the blood sugar levels below normal and resulting in hypoglycemia. • Bosentan can increase the risk of liver damage. • Thiazide diuretics, corticosteroids, and other drugs could increase blood sugar levels and result in loss of blood glucose control. • Colesevelam, can reduce glibenclamide levels in the blood. Therefore, glibenclamide should be taken at least 4 hours before colesevelam.
Storage Conditions for Betrol -Forte
• Should be stored at room temperature, keep it away from heat.
A: Betrol -Forte is not advised for the treatment of gestational diabetes. Betrol -Forte is not recommended for use in pregnancy when insulin and metformin are available(3✔✔Trusted Source Glyburide and fetal safety; transplacental pharmacokinetic considerations
A: Betrol -Forte is not recommended for patients with stage 3 chronic kidney disease. Patients with moderate CKD who are treated with Betrol -Forte require careful monitoring due to increased risk of hypoglycemia(4✔✔Trusted Source Diabetes treatment in patients with renal disease: Is the landscape clear enough?
A: Betrol -Forte may cause weight gain. Sulfonylureas drugs commonly used to treat diabetes are associated with weight gain(5✔✔Trusted Source Weight Considerations in Pharmacotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
3. Glyburide and fetal safety; transplacental pharmacokinetic considerations - (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11390165/)
4. Diabetes treatment in patients with renal disease: Is the landscape clear enough? - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4138588/#)
5. Weight Considerations in Pharmacotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2946585/)
Search for Drugs/Medicines
Medindia updates the prices regularly, however, there may be slight discrepancies in the prices displayed. This can be due to the following reasons:Medindia updates the prices regularly, however, there may be slight discrepancies in the prices displayed. This can be due to the following reasons:
Difference in GST/local taxes
Change in price by the company
Updation of price information may not have happened at the right time
For the above reasons, Medindia cannot be held liable for any action taken based on the information provided by its website. The purpose of this website is to provide initial guidance only and it does not intend to replace professional medical opinion in any manner whatsoever. Please also be aware that Medindia does not buy or sell medication.
Post a Comment
Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.