Ethide (250mg)Film coated tablet
Lupin Laboratories Ltd. Generic : Ethionamide
72.12 250mg 6
• Ethionamide is an antibiotic which is used for the treatment of tuberculosis.
• Digestive system: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, stomatitis, loss of appetite
• Nervous System: Drowsiness, dizziness, restlessness, psychiatric disturbances, peripheral neuropathy, headache and seizure
• Eye: Blurring of vision, double vision, optic neuropathy
• Liver: Hepatitis, jaundice
• Cardiovascular: Low blood pressure
• Others: Skin reactions, impotence, reduced white blood cell and platelet counts, allergic reactions, joint pain
• The recommended adult dose for ethionamide is 5 to 20 mg/kg tablet.
• Start with a low dose and increase over every one to two days to a maximum dose of 1 g/day.
• Ethionamide should be taken once daily or in divided doses after the meal as directed by the physician.
• It is contraindicated in patients allergic to drugs or with severe liver impairment.
• It should not be used in porphyria.
• Caution should be taken in patients with diabetes mellitus or kidney disease
• Liver function tests and eye examinations should be conducted on a regular basis during treatment
• Caution should be taken in patients with thyroid dysfunction.
• Do not use the drug during pregnancy.
• It is important to complete the course of the tuberculosis medicines even if the patient is feeling well.
• Alcohol may enhance the adverse effect of ethionamide resulting in a psychotic episode.
• Ethionamide should not be taken in combination with cholera or other live vaccines as the antibiotic may diminish the therapeutic effects of the vaccines.
• Ethionamide may increase the side effect of cycloserine.
• Ethionamide may increase the blood level of isoniazid.
• It should be stored Store at 20°C to 25°C.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!