Macleods Pharmaceuticals Ltd. (Pharma) Generic : Disodium Hydrogen Citrate
52.75 1.37g/5mL 100ml
• Disodium hydrogen citrate is a urinary alkalinizer used for the treatment of renal tubular acidosis, to prevent uric acid and cysteine stones, and in the treatment of urinary tract infections.
• Digestive tract: Diarrhea, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, bleeding from the stomach or intestines
• Blood: Low blood potassium levels, metabolic alkalosis (increased alkalinity of the blood)
• Others: Increased urination, tiredness
• The usual dosage of the syrup in adults is 15 to 30 ml two to three times a day.
• Take after a meal on a full stomach.
Disodium hydrogen citrate should not be used in the following conditions:
• Allergy to the drug
• High blood pressure (since it contains sodium)
• Fluid accumulation in the body (called edema)
• Metabolic derangements like high osmolality or increased alkalinity of the blood, low blood calcium levels
• Kidney dysfunction
• Drink plenty of water while on the medication.
• Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before taking the medication.
• The liquid forms of the drug contains sugar, it is advised to use with caution in diabetes patients
• Since disodium hydrogen citrate makes the urine alkaline, it may increase the elimination of acidic drugs like salicylates and barbiturates through the urine, thus reducing their effects
• It may increase the blood sodium levels especially when taken with drugs like corticosteroids.
• Use with caution with diuretics like furosemide since it can cause metabolic disturbances.
• It should be used stored at room temperature, keep it out of the reach of children
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!