Eofil (150 mg)Tablet
Fourrts (India) Laboratories Pvt. Ltd. Generic : Diethylcarbamazine
₹ 9.80 150mg 10 Tablets
Diethylcarbamazine is used for treating filariasis which is caused by certain worm infestations such as Wucheria bancrofti, Brugia malayi, Brugia timori or Loa loa.
• The dosage is determined based on body weight. Treatment is usually begun with a low dose.
a) For the treatment of Bancroft’s filariasis:
The recommended adult dose is 2 to 3 mg per kg of body weight three times a day for 12 days.
b) For the treatment of eosinophilic lung:
The usual adult dose is 6 mg per kg of body weight daily for four to seven days.
c) For the treatment of Loiasis:
The usual dose is 2 to 3 mg per kg three times daily for 18 days.
d) Prevention of loiasis:
The usual dose in adults is 300 mg once a week
Central nervous system: Headache, encephalitis (inflammation of the brain)
Cardio vascular system: Increase in heart rate, low blood pressure resulting in dizziness
Musculoskeletal: Muscle and joint pain
Eye: Retinal hemorrhage (bleed in the inner light-sensitive layer of the eye), vision problems
Skin: Itching, rashes
Others: Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, chills and fever
• Diethylcarbamazine comes as a tablet and to be taken immediately after meals.
• DEC should be avoided in pregnancy, kidney impairment, and in patients with a previous history of heart disease.
• In severe cases, convulsions may occur which can be treated by diazepam.
• Urine samples should be monitored as loss of protein in the urine may occur.
• Due to the destruction of the microfilariae parasite, a reaction which includes fever, headache, dizziness and asthmatic attacks may occur. It can be managed by either reducing the dosage or stopping the treatment temporarily.
• It can also be prevented with pretreatment with corticosteroids such as dexamethasone, 2 to 4 mg twice a day.
• There are no significant drug interactions reported with this drug, however, caution should be exercised when it is administered with any other drug.
• Store the medicine in a tightly closed container at room temperature. Keep out of reach of children.
• Protect from excess heat, light and moisture.