Ferring Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd. Generic : Corticotropin
1,150.00 60Iu 5ml
• Fluid and Electrolyte Disturbances:
Sodium retention, fluid retention, potassium loss, calcium loss.
• Musculoskeletal: Muscle weakness, loss of muscle mass, pathologic fracture of long bones.
• Gastrointestinal: Inflammation of pancreas, ulcer in esophagus, abdominal distention, peptic ulcer.
• Skin: Impaired wound healing, lesions, increased sweating, pigmentation, thin, fragile skin, facial redness, acne.
• Heart: High blood pressure, heart failure, inflammation of blood vessels.
• Central Nervous System: Convulsions, vertigo, headache; increased intracranial pressure with papilledema (optic disc swelling).
• Eye and ENT: Glare and decreased visual acuity especially during bright sunlight, increased eye pressure, glaucoma with possible eye nerve damage; protruding eyeball.
• Metabolic and Hormonal: Negative nitrogen balance, increase in blood sugar, menstrual irregularities, suppression of growth, Cushingoid state.
• Miscellaneous: Abscess, prolonged use of ACTH may result in antibodies to it and resulting loss of stimulatory effect, thinning of skin.
The usual dose is 40 to 80 units given intramuscularly or subcutaneously every 24 – 72 hours. In the treatment of Acute Exacerbations of Multiple Sclerosis is 80 – 120 units for 2 – 3 weeks may be administered. For the purpose of diagnosis, a dose of up to 80 units may be administered.
It comes as a solution for injection, administered by the doctor or hospital staff.
Contraindicated in patients allergic to the drug, those with severe infections such as systemic fungal infections and herpes simplex of the eyes, heart failure, high blood pressure, recent surgery and peptic ulcer.
• Long-term use of this medication may cause eye problems, such as cataracts, glaucoma, and optic nerve damage. Do not use it for longer than prescribed.
• The drug should not be stopped suddenly but should be tapered gradually.
• It may affect blood sugar, monitor blood sugar regularly.
• It may lower your body's ability to fight infection or illnesses, especially if you use it for an extended period of time.
• Caution should be exercised in children, pregnant women.
Do not self-inject this medicine if you do not fully understand how to give the injection and properly dispose of used needles and syringes.
Store it in the refrigerator and in an airtight container, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!