Piramal Healthcare Generic : Chloramphenicol
42.50 500mg 6 Capsules
• Central Nervous System :
Headache, confusion, depression, inflammation of the optic nerve and nerve inflammation.
• Gastrointestinal : Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, tongue inflammation, mouth ulcer and intestinal inflammation.
• Blood : Bone marrow depression and decrease in blood cell counts.
• Miscellaneous : Hypersensitivity reactions such as fever, rash, shock, hives and Gray syndrome.
Adult: PO- The recommended dose is 50 mg/kg/day in 4 divided doses, may increase to 100 mg/kg/day in more severe infections.
Eye Drops: As 0.5% solution: Instill 1 or 2 drops 2 hourly.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, on an empty stomach.
It also comes as eye drops to instill into the affected eyes as directed by your physician.
Contraindicated in patients with bone marrow depression, who experience severe side effects after taking this medication, and hypersensitivity.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney or liver disease, bone marrow problems, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may cause secondary infection.
• Newborns may develop with increased risk of gray syndrome with the following symptoms- swelling of the abdomen, pale or blue skin color, vomiting, shock, difficulty breathing, refusal to suck, loose green stools, limp muscles, low temperature; if it is so consult with your doctor.
• Avoid contact with people who have infections.
• Extreme caution needed in children younger than 1 year of age.
• Monitor complete blood counts regularly while taking this medication.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15-30oC).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!