Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Generic : Ceftizoxime
248.33 500mg 1
• Ceftizoxime is a semisynthetic third generation cephalosporin antibiotic particularly used in treating a wide range of bacterial infections.
• General: Pain at injection site, numbness
• Gastrointestinal: Pseudomembranous colitis (inflammation of the colon with watery or bloody diarrhea)
• Hematologic: Eosinophilia, thrombocytosis
• Skin: Maculopapular rash, pruritus
• Other: Hypersensitivity reactions, elevated temperature.
The recommended dose of ceftizoxime is determined by the condition of the patient, severity of the infection, and susceptibility of the causative organisms.
Intravenous solution constitution is 1g/50 ml or 2g/50ml
• Uncomplicated gonorrhea: 1 g intramuscular as a single dose.
• Skin and intra-abdominal infections: 1 g intravenous/intramuscular every 8-12 hours
• Meningitis: 1 g intravenous/intramuscular every 8 hours or 2 g intravenous/intramuscular every 8-12 hours
• Urinary Tract Infection: 1-2 g intravenous/intramuscular every 8-12 hours
Dosage for children is 100-200mg/kg/day every 6-8 hours and for patients with renal impairment with creatinine clearance < 50 mL/min, the loading dose is 0.5-1 g.
• This injection is taken through muscles or vein.
• Intravenous infusion should be administered either as a continuous or intermittent infusion over 15 to 30 min.
• It is contraindicated in patients who are allergic to ceftizoxime.
• Caution should be taken in the patient with a history of gastrointestinal disease, especially colitis.
• It should be used carefully in patients with hypersensitivity to cephalosporin and penicillin drugs. The patient should be regularly monitored for hypersensitivity.
• If the patients are given the maximum dose for a severe illness he/she should be monitored for renal function.
• Contact doctor if you observe bloody or watery stool
• Entire course of the medication should be finished
• Prothrombin activity should be monitored in patients with kidney problems, liver problems, and malnutrition
• Drug that interact with ceftizoxime are aminoglycosides and probenecid.
• Store below 20°C, keep out of reach of children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!