• General :
Severe allergic reactions, fever, headache, pain, difficulty sleeping, angioedema and swelling in your hands or feet.
• Central Nervous System : Aggressive behavior, agitation, unsteadiness, coma, confusion, decreased consciousness, confusion, dizziness, hallucinations, numbness, burning, or tingling in the arms or legs, epilepsy, drowsiness and tremors.
• Gastrointestinal : Diarrhea, gastrointestinal distress, vomiting and nausea.
• Blood : Anemia, decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
• Liver Elevated liver function tests, liver inflammation and jaundice.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain, temporary inability to move parts of your body.
• Skin : Hair loss, redness, itching, pale skin, rash or blisters and hives.
• Eye : Visual abnormalities.
• Genitourinary : Kidney failure, elevated blood urea nitrogen levels, blood in urine and urinating less than usual or not at all.
Acute Treatment of Herpes Zoster: 800 mg every 4 hours orally, 5 times daily for 7 to 10 days.
Genital Herpes: Treatment of Initial Genital Herpes: 200 mg every 4 hours, 5 times daily for 10 days.
Chronic Suppressive Therapy for Recurrent Disease: 400 mg 2 times daily for up to 12 months, followed by re-evaluation.
Treatment of Chickenpox: Children (2 years of age and older): 20 mg/kg per dose orally 4 times daily (80 mg/kg/day) for 5 days.
Adults and Children over 40 kg: 800 mg 4 times daily for 5 days.
It comes as a tablet, suspension to take by mouth, with or without food. It comes as cream, ointment to apply over the affected area. It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• It may cause sunburn easily, avoid exposure to sunlight or wear proper clothes.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney disease, any allergy, during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
• It may lead to dehydration, drink adequate water or liquid.
• It may cause dizziness, drowsiness or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• After applying this medication wash your hands thoroughly to prevent passage of infection to others.
• Avoid sexual intercourse or use condom to prevent the spread of virus.
Avoid contact with eyes and excess dosage.
Avoid alcohol consumption.
Store it at room temperature (15° to 25°C) and protect from moisture.