This medication is a selective serotonin receptor agonist, prescribed for migraine. It works by narrowing blood vessels in the brain, which helps to relieve migraines.
It should not be administered in patients with heart disease, uncontrolled high blood pressure, cluster headache within 24 hours after the use of ergotamine derivative and known hypersensitivity.
PO: The recommended dose is 2.5 mg to 5mg as single dose.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Avoid taking this medication along with monoamine oxidase inhibitors to prevent allergic reactions.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart disease, menopause, poor blood supply, ischemic bowel disease, liver or kidney disease, breathing problem, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: increased heart rate, shivering, sweating, dilated pupils,etc . If it is so consult with your healthcare provider.
• Most Common:
Pain or tightness in the chest or throat, tingling sensations, flushing, weakness, drowsiness, dizziness, abdominal discomfort and sweating.
• Central Nervous System: Agitation, anxiety, depression, emotional instability, sleeplessness and fainting.
• Heart: Chest pain, abnormal heart rhythm and high blood pressure.
• Gastrointestinal: Dry mouth, indigestion, difficulty in swallowing, nausea, increased appetite, tongue swelling, inflammation of esophagus, stomach flu, liver function abnormality and increased thirst.
• Blood: Bruising.
• Respiratory: Inflammation of bronchus and larynx region, nosebleed and hiccups.
• Skin: Itching, rash and hives.
• Eye and ENT: Dry eye, eye pain, photophobia (light sensitivity), ear pain, smelling disorder and ringing in the ear.
• Genitourinary: Blood in urine, inflammation of kidney, increased urinary frequency and urinary urgency.
• Miscellaneous: Fever, chills, uneasiness, sweating, swelling in the face and muscle pain.
♦ Avoid excess dosage; otherwise it may lead to severe headache.
Store it at room temperature (20-25°C), and in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!