This medication is a nicotinic receptor partial agonist, prescribed for smoking cessation. It blocks the pleasant effects of nicotine (from smoking) on the brain.
Adult: PO- 0.5 mg once daily for 1st 3 days, followed by 0.5 mg twice daily for the next 4 days. Maintenance (week 2-12): 1 mg twice daily.
Initiate dose 1-2 week before target quit date. Usual treatment duration: 12 weeks.
May continue for another 12 weeks to reduce relapse in patients who have successfully quit after the initial treatment course.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney problems or dialysis, mental or mood problems, suicidal thoughts, who are taking other medication, any allergy, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• ♦ Patient may develop with elevated mood or changes in behavior and Suicidality; if it so consult with your doctor.
• Gastrointestinal :
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, flatulence, indigestion, gastrointestinal motility/defecation conditions, constipation, acid reflux disease, salivary gland conditions and dry mouth.
• Central Nervous System : Sleep disorder/disturbances, sleeplessness, abnormal dreams, negative emotional state, headache, nerve disorders, drowsiness and abnormal taste.
• General : Fatigue/uneasiness/weakness.
• Respiratory : Runny nose, difficulty in breathing and upper respiratory tract disorder.
• Skin : Rash and itching.
• Metabolic : Increased and decreased appetite.
♦ • Heart: Chest pain, peripheral vascular disease (PVD).
Monitor kidney and liver functions regularly while taking this medication.
Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!