This medication is an anticonvulsant, prescribed for epilepsy, bipolar disorder, and rarely for depression. It works by increasing the amount of a certain chemical in the brain.
Contraindicated in patients with known urea cycle disorders and hypersensitivity.
PO- The initial recommended dose is 15 mg/kg/day. The dosage should be increased by 5 to 10 mg/kg/week.
It comes as a tablet, capsule, and liquid to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of urea cycle disorder, vomiting, tiredness, irritability, confusion, loss of ability to think, coma, mental retardation, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), increased blood cholesterol, kidney disease, any allergy, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, drowsiness or vision changes, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of suicidal thoughts; watch them carefully.
• It may affect platelet counts; avoid injury or bruising.
• Body as a Whole : Headache, weakness and fever.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, loss of appetite, indigestion, heartburn and constipation.
• Central Nervous System : Drowsiness, tremor, dizziness, blurred vision, incoordination, night blindness, emotional lability, abnormal thinking and memory loss.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain/twitching, joint pain and leg cramps.
• Miscellaneous : Flu syndrome, infection, lung inflammation, runny nose, hair loss and weight loss.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature.
Doctor has prescribed VALANCE OD 500 mg to be taken once daily. The patient cannot take the tablet as a whole hence it is crushed & mixed with water & given.Any issues
Hi, Any solution to 'Drowsiness, tremor, dizziness' side effects because of Valproic Acid(Valprid CR 300)?
I mean any medicine like Vitamin which can suppress it a bit...Thanks.