This medication is an anticancer agent, used for brain cancers i.e. anaplastic astrocytoma and glioblastoma multiforme. It is also used for treating melanoma. It slows or stops the growth of cancer cells in the body.
The starting dose is 150 mg/m2 once daily for first 5 days in 28days cycle. It may be adjusted depending upon blood counts. Max: 200 mg/m2/day.
Metastatic melanoma: The dose is given in range of 150 – 200mg/m2 once daily for first 5 days in 28days cycle, as a single therapy.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, should be taken on an empty stomach.
• Most common:
Hair loss, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, headache, constipation, loss of appetite, convulsions, rash, weakness, diarrhea, weakness, fever, dizziness, abnormal coordination, viral infection, memory loss, and sleeplessness.
• Central Nervous System: Convulsions, dizziness, tingling, drowsiness, incoordination, confusion, anxiety, depression.
• Blood: Decrease in number of all blood cells.
• Endocrine: Adrenal hypercorticism.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain.
• Respiratory: Upper respiratory tract infection, inflammation of pharynx, sinusitis, coughing.
• Skin: Rash, itching.
• Genitourinary: Urinary tract infection, increased frequency.
• Eye: Double vision, vision abnormal.
Avoid using contaminated solution of this medication.
Oral: Store at 15-30°C. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture.