This medication is a phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitor, prescribed for erectile dysfunction (impotence; inability to get or keep an erection) in men. It increases blood flow to the penis during sexual stimulation.
Concurrent use of organic nitrates, nitrates and nitric oxide donors. Men with cardiac disease for whom sexual activity is inadvisable. Recent MI (within 90 days) or stroke (within last 6 months), hypotension (<90/50 mm Hg), unstable angina, heart failure, uncontrolled arrhythmias or hypertension.
PO- Initial: 10 mg once daily at least 30 minutes before sexual activity, up to 20 mg/dose. Max: Once daily. If used with potent inhibitors of CYP3A4: Max: 10 mg once every 72 hr.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth (orally), with or without food.
• Avoid excessive alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
• Patients with heart problems who take it, may be at increased risk for heart-related side effects, including heart attack or stroke. If it is so contact your doctor immediately.
• Discontinue and seek medical advice if there is sudden vision loss or decreased vision in one or both eyes or tinnitus, dizziness or sudden loss or decrease in hearing, while taking this medication.
• It may cause liver or kidney damage; CV diseases; anatomical penile deformation; predisposition to painful erection.
• Extreme caution needed for children <18 yr, elderly, pregnant women.
• Heart: Flushing, high blood pressure, chest pain, heart attack, palpitations, syncope, fast heart rate, stroke and sudden cardiac death.
• Central Nervous System: Headache, weakness, dizziness, fatigue, sensory loss, sleeplessness, tingling, drowsiness, vertigo, migraine, seizure and seizure recurrence and temporary memory loss.
• Skin: Itching, rash, sweating, scaling, allergic reactions and hives.
• Eye and ENT: Inflammation of nasopharynx, nasal congestion, blurred vision, changes in color vision, inflammation of conjunctiva, nosebleed, eye pain, increased tears, inflammation of pharynx, sudden decrease or loss of hearing, swelling of eyelids, tinnitus, eye stroke and visual field defect.
• Gastrointestinal: Upset stomach, nausea, stomach flu, acid reflux disease, abdominal pain, diarrhea, dry mouth, difficulty in swallowing, inflammation of esophagus, gastric ulcer, loose stools and vomiting.
• Genitourinary: Urinary tract infection, increased erection, spontaneous penile erection and painful erection.
• Liver: Abnormal Liver function tests.
• Musculoskeletal: Muscle pain, back pain, pain in extremities, limb pain, joint pain and neck pain.
• Respiratory:Upper and lower respiratory tract infection, cough, inflammation of bronchus and difficulty in breathing.
• Miscellaneous: Influenza, face edema and pain.
Avoid abrupt withdrawal.
Oral: Store at 15-30°C. Store it at room temperature and keep in an airtight container.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!