This medication is a selective serotonin receptor agonist, prescribed for the acute treatment of migraine attacks with or without aura in adults (severe, throbbing headaches that sometimes are accompanied by nausea and sensitivity to sound and light). It narrows blood vessels in the brain and by stopping pain signals from being sent to the brain.
Contraindicated in patient with prior heart attack and other heart diseases, uncontrolled high blood pressure, peripheral vascular disease, basilar, hemiplegic or ophthalmologic migraine, severe liver or kidney disease, stroke, allergy to the drug or along with MAO inhibitors or ergot alkaloids.
Adult: PO- Migraine >18 years: 50-100 mg, repeat once after 2 hours if migraine continues.
SC- Migraine; Cluster headache >18 years: 6 mg as a single dose, repeat at least 1 hour after the 1st dose if needed. Max: 12 mg/day.
Nasal Migraine- 12-17 years: 10 mg into 1 nostril, max: 20 mg/day; >18 years: 20 mg into 1 nostril, max: 40 mg/day. May repeat dose at least 2 hours after the 1st dose if needed.
It comes as a tablet, intranasal solution or injection to be administered just under the skin. It may be taken with or without food.
• Caution needed for patients with conditions predisposing to seizures, presence of coronary risk factors, abnormal heart rhythm, kidney or liver impairment, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid excess dosage.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: increased heart rate, shivering, sweating, dilated pupils,etc . If it is so consult with your healthcare provider.
• Infrequent but serious:
• Potentially Fatal: Cardiac arrhythmias, MI (sudden heart attack causing death).
• Heart: Flushing, chest discomfort, tightness in chest, low blood pressure, and increased blood pressure.
• Central Nervous System: Tingling, dizziness, fatigue, drowsiness, seizures, weakness.
• Gastrointestinal: Abdominal discomfort and difficulty in swallowing, gastroesophageal reflux and diarrhea.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle cramps, various joint disturbances (pain, stiffness, swelling, ache).
• Respiratory : Difficulty in breathing, asthma.
• Skin : Redness, itching, and skin rashes and eruptions.
• Blood: Anemia.
• Genitourinary: Painful menstruation, increased urination, and intermenstrual bleeding.
• Miscellaneous: Hypersensitivity, fever, fluid retention, and overdose.
Avoid using contaminated solution of this medication.
If there is no improvement in your health condition, consult with your doctor for next dose.
Nasal: Store below 30°C. Do not freeze. Oral: Store below 30°C. Subcutaneous: Store below 30°C.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!