This medication is a hyperosmotic laxative used to treat occasional constipation.
Contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity, renal failure, hepatic failure, inborn errors of metabolism.
Adult Dose for Constipation: Oral: 30 to 150 mL (70% solution) once. Rectal: 120 mL (25% to 30% solution) as a rectal enema once.
Pediatric Dose for Constipation (2 to 11 years): Oral: 2 mL/kg (70% solution) once. Rectal: 30 to 60 mL (25% to 30% solution) as a rectal enema once. Greater than or equal to 12 years: Oral: 30 to 150 mL (70% solution) once. Rectal: 120 mL (25% to 30% solution) as a rectal enema once.
It comes as a solution to take by mouth with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of hypersensitivity, diabetes, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, rectal bleeding, a sudden change in bowel habits lasting over 2 weeks, elderly, children, pregnant and breastfeeding women.
• Do not take additional laxatives or stool softeners while taking this medication unless directed by your doctor.
• Do not use this medication beyond the recommended dose.
• This medication should be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with others.
• Do not use this medication for longer than 1 week without consulting with your health care provider.
Nausea, gas, diarrhea, stomach cramps or anal irritation, hives, difficult breathing, swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat, rectal bleeding, weakness, dizziness, persistent urge to empty the bowel, injury or disorder in digestive tract.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) away from heat, light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep away from children and pets.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!