Silodosin is an alpha blocker, prescribed to reduce the symptoms of enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia) like incomplete emptying of bladder in men and frequent urination. It works by relaxing muscles in the prostate and bladder neck.
Silodosin is contraindicated in patients who are allergic to the drug, with severe kidney or liver impairment, and with use of other medicines which inhibit its metabolism e.g., clarithromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole and ritonavir, or with other alpha blockers like prazosin, terazosin and doxazosin
The recommended dose is 8 mg orally once daily with a meal.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with food.
Dry orgasm (problems associated with discharge of semen), dizziness, diarrhea, low blood pressure, headache and nasal congestion.
Avoid excess dosage. Silodosin does not cure the condition as a whole, but provides relief and reduces the symptoms of enlarged prostate.
Do not consume grapefruit juice with silodosin to avoid the dangerous side effects of the drug.
Inform your doctor if you are about to undergo dental or eye surgery while taking silodosin.
Monitor kidney, liver function regularly while taking this medication.
Silodosin should be avoided with:
• Beta blockers like atenolol, metaprolol, nebivolol, propranolol, other alpha blockers like doxazosin, prazosin, terazosin, and other drugs used for the treatment of high blood pressure due to its additive effect resulting in low blood pressure.
• Gastrointestinal drugs such as cimetidine, cisapride as these drugs mainly interfere with the elimination of silodosin.
• Drugs like bosentan stimulate the metabolism of silodosin resulting in reduced levels of the drug.
• Drugs used in the treatment of erectile dysfunction like sildenafil, vardenafil and tadalafil as they might severely lower the blood pressure and increase the side effects of the drug causing light headedness, dizziness, headache and nasal congestion.
• Protease inhibitors like indinavir, nelfinavir and lopinavir, antibiotics like clarithromycin and erythromycin, and azole antifungals as that of ketoconazole and itraconazole will slow down the metabolic process of silodosin in liver thereby increasing the drug levels in the blood resulting in severe dizziness, fatigue and the person tends to faint.
Store it in a tightly closed container at room temperature (25°C). Protect from excess heat and moisture,Keep out of reach of children.
FREE subscription for 'Personalised Health & Wellness website with consultation' (Value Rs.300/-)
CONSULT A DOCTOR