This medication is a narcotic analgesic, prescribed for pain during and after surgery. It works by dulling the pain perception center in the brain.
Contraindicated for epidural or intrathecal administration. Contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity
A single IV dose of 0.5 to 1 mcg/kg over 30 to 60 seconds.
IV- Continuous infusion at a rate of 0.1 mcg/kg/min beginning 5 minutes.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart or breathing problems, head injury, lung disease, who are taking other medications, any allergy, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Most Common :
Nausea, vomiting, itching, headache, increased sweating, shivering, dizziness, low blood pressure, slow heart rate, respiratory depression, muscle rigidity, chills, flushing, warm sensation.
• Heart : Abnormal heart rhythm, heart block, ECG change and fainting.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle stiffness, musculoskeletal chest pain.
• Respiratory : Cough, difficulty in breathing, asthma, nose congestion, inflammation of pharynx, hiccup(s), lung swelling, runny nose.
• Central Nervous System : Anxiety, involuntary movement, confusion, tremors, disorientation, dysphoria, nightmare(s), hallucinations, tingling, night blindness, twitch, sleep disorder, seizure, amnesia.
• Body as a Whole : Chills, anaphylactic reaction.
• Skin : Rash, hives, itching, and redness.
• Genitourinary : Urine retention, painful urination, and urine incontinence.
• Metabolic : Abnormal liver function, hyperglycemia, electrolyte disorders, increased CPK level.
• Blood : Anemia, raised white blood cell count, decrease of platelets in blood.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store at 2° to 25°C.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!