Information about Remdesivir
Generic Name : Remdesivir
Pronunciation : rem DE si vir
Latest prescription information about Remdesivir. Learn how to pronounce the drug's name, its indications, dosage, how to take, when to take, when not to take, side effects, special precautions, warnings . Also listed are the Indian trade name(s) of the drug and its price list.
Trade Names/Brand Names of Remdesivir
Overview of Remdesivir
Remdesivir is approved by the USFDA for treating patients with COVID-19 requiring hospitalization, aged above 12 years, weighing at least 40 kilograms.
It was not approved but has been authorized for emergency use by the FDA to treat COVID-19 in hospitalized kids weighing 3.5 kg to less than 40 kg or less than 12 years of age weighing at least 3.5 kg.
Why is Remdesivir Prescribed? (Indications)
It is prescribed for severe COVID-19 patients requiring hospitalization.
When should Remdesivir not be taken? (Contraindications)
Allergy to Remdesivir or any of the ingredients
What is the dosage of Remdesivir?
Remdesivir should be injected into the vein.
It is available in the following strengths:
• 100mg/20ml or 100mg/vial
How should Remdesivir be taken?
Vial contains a sterile, lyophilized solid that must be reconstituted with sterile water for injection. It should be diluted into 0.9% saline prior to intravenous (IV) administration. Administer as intravenous drip infusion over 60 minutes for 5 days usually. It is given twice on day 1 and once from day 2 to 4.
What are the warnings and precautions for Remdesivir?
• Remdesivir should only be given in a hospital or in a healthcare setting capable of providing acute care.
• Monitor liver function, cholesterol, lipid levels, and complete blood cell count regularly while taking Remdesivir.
What are the side effects of Remdesivir?
Some of the possible side effects are
1. Allergic reactions- including infusion-related- Monitor for blood pressure, heart rate, oxygen level, fever, shortness of breath, wheezing, swelling, rash, nausea, sweating, and shivering etc. In case of any of these symptoms, stop the infusion immediately.
2. Increases in levels of liver enzymes-Proper monitoring of liver enzymes is required before and during the treatment.
What are the other precautions for Remdesivir?
Inform your health care provider if you have: • Liver problems
• A reaction to Remdesivir or any of the ingredients before.
• Plan to become pregnant or pregnant.
What are the Drug Interactions of Remdesivir?
Remdesivir can have a decreased effect when given along with
Last Updated : 5/1/2020