Few Facts about Remdesivir:
• It is an experimental medicine that does not have established safety or efficacy for treating any condition.
• Remdesivir has demonstrated good antiviral activity in animal models against MERS and SARS viruses, that are structurally similar to the novel coronavirus virus causing COVID-19.
• In 2020 January, Gilead began testing Remdesivir against SARS-CoV-2 and the Wuhan Institute of Virology applied for a "use patent" for treating patients with COVID-19.
• Gilead has initiated two Phase 3 clinical studies to evaluate the safety and efficacy of remdesivir in adults with COVID-19 following the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) rapid review and acceptance of Gilead’s investigational new drug (IND) filing.
• Remdesivir is an antiviral medication developed by Gilead Sciences to treat Ebola virus disease and Marburg virus infections.
• It has an orphan drug designation. An orphan drug is developed to treat rare medical conditions, which are not profitable to produce without government assistance.
Mechanism of action:
The drug acts by blocking the action of a viral enzyme named RNA-dependent RNA polymerase, causing a decrease in viral RNA production.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!