This medication is a sedative, prescribed for insomnia (sleeplessness). It works by acting on the melatonin receptors in the brain, that is needed for sleep.
Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity and avoid co-administration with fluvoxamine.
PO- The recommended dose is 8 mg taken within 30 minutes before going to bed.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth. Avoid taking this medication with or immediately after taking food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver disease, sleep apnea, a breathing disorder such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or history of depression, mental illness, suicidal thoughts, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
• Patient may be engaged with certain activities such as driving, eating, making phone calls etc in absent mind, if it so consult with your doctor.
Severe allergic reactions, abnormal thinking and behavioral changes.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea and diarrhea.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain.
• Central Nervous system: Drowsiness, dizziness and sleeplessness.
• Miscellaneous: Headache and fatigue.
It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
Store it at controlled room temperature (25°C), and in an airtight container.