This medication is an antimalarial agent, prescribed for malaria and nighttime leg muscle cramps. It works by killing the malaria parasite.
Contraindicated in patients with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency, myasthenia gravis and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- Malaria As sulfate: The recommended dose is 648 mg 8 hourly for 7 days.
Nocturnal leg cramps- The recommended dose is 200-300 mg at bedtime.
It comes as a capsule and tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of prolonged QT interval, heart, kidney, or liver disease, abnormal electrocardiogram, G-6-PD deficiency, myasthenia gravis, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• It may affect platelet counts, avoid injury or bruising.
• Most Common :
Headache, dilatation of blood vessels, sweating, nausea, ringing in the ear, hearing impairment, dizziness, blurred vision and disturbances.
• General : Fever, chills, flushing, weakness, lupus-like syndrome and hypersensitivity reactions.
• Central Nervous System : Confusion, altered mental status, seizures, coma, disorientation, tremors, restlessness and incoordination.
• Skin : Rash, hives, itching and skin inflammation.
• Respiratory : Asthma, difficulty in breathing and lung swelling.
♦ • Heart : Chest pain, dilatation of blood vessels, low blood pressure, fast heart rate, palpitations, QT prolongation and fainting.
• Gastrointestinal : Vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, gastric irritation and heartburn.
• Liver : Jaundice and abnormal liver function tests.
• Metabolic : Decrease in sugar and loss of appetite.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain and muscle weakness.
• Genitourinary : Kidney failure/ inflammation.
• Eye and ENT : Sudden loss of vision, sensitivity to light, double vision, night blindness, diminished visual fields, fixed pupillary dilatation, disturbed color vision, eye inflammation, blindness, unsteadiness, ringing in the ear, hearing impairment and deafness.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!