This medication is a general anesthetic, prescribed for induction and maintenance of general anaesthesia.
Contraindicated in patients with allergies to eggs, egg products, soybeans or soy products, and hypersensitivity.
Adult- Induction: 40 mg by inj or infusion every 10 sec. Usual dose: 1.5-2.5 mg/kg. Maintenance: 4-12 mg/kg/hour or intermittent bolus inj of 20-50 mg.
Child- >8 year: Induction dose of 2.5 mg/kg. Maintenance dose: 9-15 mg/kg/hour by IV infusion or intermittent bolus inj.
Elderly- Including neurosurgical and debilitated patients: Infuse at a rate of 20 mg every 10 sec. Maintenance: 3-6 mg/kg/hour. Usual dose needed: 1-1.5 mg/kg.
It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• It may decrease mental alertness for some time after use. This effect may be worse if you drink alcohol or take certain medicines.
• Do not use it in newborns or infants. It may cause serious and sometimes fatal nervous system problems and other side effects.
• It should not be used to start anesthesia in children younger than 3 years old.
• Central Nervous System:
Involuntary muscle movements.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea, vomiting.
• Miscellaneous: Headache, fever; pain, burning or stinging at injection site.
Monitor the signs of low blood pressure regularly.
It is normally handled and stored by healthcare providers.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!