This medication is an antineoplastic agent, prescribed for Hodgkin disease. It inhibits protein, RNA, and DNA synthesis that help to stop the cancer cell growth.
Contraindicated in patients with bone marrow depression and hypersensitivity.
Adult: The recommended dose is 2–4 mg/kg/day either in a single dose or divided, given for 7 days then increased to 4–6 mg/kg/day.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of congestive heart failure, adrenal gland tumors (eg, pheochromocytoma), bone marrow depression, heart disease, frequent headaches, mental problems, kidney, or liver disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• It may reduce platelet counts, avoid bruising or injury.
• Blood :
Nose bleed, bruising, anemia and eosinophilia.
• Gastrointestinal : Liver dysfunction, jaundice, mouth ulcer, blood vomiting, blood in stool, diarrhea, indigestion, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, constipation and dry mouth.
• Central Nervous System : Coma, convulsions, nerve disease, incoordination, tingling, night blindness, diminished reflexes, falling, foot drop, headache, dizziness and unsteadiness.
• Heart : Low blood pressure, fast heart rate and fainting.
• Eye : Eye bleeding, sensitivity to light, double vision, optic disc swelling and inability to focus.
• Respiratory : Lung inflammation/infection and increased cough.
• Skin : Skin inflammation, itching, hair loss, pigmentation, rash, hives and flushing.
• Allergic reactions : Generalized allergic reactions.
• Genitourinary : Blood in urine, urinary frequency, nighttime urination and breast enlargement in male.
• Musculoskeletal : Pain, including muscle and joint pain and tremors.
• Psychiatric : Hallucinations, depression, apprehension, nervousness, confusion and nightmares.
• Miscellaneous : Infections, hearing loss, fever, increased sweating, lethargy, weakness, fatigue, edema, chills, sleeplessness, slurred speech, hoarseness and drowsiness.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Trichotillomania (TTM) is a hair pulling disorder where a person urges to pull out hair from their ...
Dental Anxiety is kind of dental phobia where a person has a fear of going to dentist mainly due to ...
Kleine Levin (KLS) or sleeping beauty syndrome is a rare neurological disorder that primarly ...View All