This medication is a corticosteroid, prescribed for various disease conditions such as allergic rhinitis, atopic dermatitis, mycosis fungoides, hypercalcemia of malignancy, Crohn's Disease, ulcerative colitis, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in adults, acute leukemia and others. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.
Contraindicated in patients with fungal infection, and hypersensitivity.
PO- The recommended initial dose may vary from 5 mg to 60 mg per day.
It comes as a solution to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of adrenal gland problems, diabetes, eye problems, heart, kidney or liver disease, heart attack, high blood pressure, mental illness, seizures, fluid retention, thyroid problems, HIV infection or tuberculosis (TB), stomach problems, recent bowel surgery, inflammation of the esophagus, myasthenia gravis, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Avoid contact with people who have infections that may spread to others.
• Monitor adrenal function, blood glucose levels, blood potassium and sodium levels, blood pressure monitoring, weight checks, chest x-rays, and eye pressure regularly while taking this medication.
• Avoid vaccination during the treatment period.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of osteoporosis; if it is so consult with your doctor.
• Most Common :
Fluid retention, alteration in glucose tolerance, increased appetite, high blood pressure, behavioral and mood changes, allergic reactions and weight gain.
• Heart : Slow heart rate, heart arrest, abnormal heart rhythm, swelling in heart, congestive heart failure, fat embolism, high blood pressure, heart attack, lung swelling, fainting, fast heart rate, blood clot events, vein inflammation.
• Skin : Acne, dry scalp, facial redness, hyper or hypo-pigmentation, impaired wound healing, increased sweating, red spots, rash, pus, thinning of scalp hair, hives.
• Fluid : Fluid retention, loss of potassium, high blood pressure, sodium retention.
• Gastrointestinal : Abdominal distention, elevation in liver enzymes levels, liver enlargement, hiccups, uneasiness, nausea, peptic ulcer and intestinal bleeding.
• General : Increased appetite and weight gain.
• Metabolic : Negative nitrogen balance due to protein catabolism, abnormal hair growth.
• Musculoskeletal : Poor blood supply to bones, charcot-like arthropathy, loss of muscle mass, muscle weakness, joint pain or inflammation, fracture of long bones, tendon rupture, vertebral compression fractures.
• Central Nerve System : Neuropathic disease, convulsions, depression, emotional instability, headache, increased intracranial pressure, sleeplessness, brain inflammation, mood swings, tingling, personality changes, and sensory disturbances.
• Eye : Increased eye pressure, and cataract.
• Genitourinary : Alteration in motility and number of spermatozoa, menstrual irregularities.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store between 20°-25°C.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!