This medication is a tranquilizer, prescribed for schizophrenia (a mental illness). It decreases abnormal excitement in the brain.
Contraindicated in patients with blood disorders, liver damage, decreased bone marrow function, brain damage, who are taking astemizole, cisapride, terfenadine, or tramadol, and hypersensitivity.
Nonhospitalized patients -
Initial- 4 to 8 mg three times per day; it may be reduced.
Hospitalized patients - 8 to 16 mg 2 to 4 times/day; Maximum- 64 mg daily.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of seizures, breast cancer, asthma, trouble in urinating, lung disease, alcohol abuse, depression, heart disease, Reye syndrome, Parkinson disease, increased eye pressure, high/low blood pressure, prostate enlargement, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or fainting, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) with the following symptoms: fever, stiff muscles, confusion, abnormal thinking, fast or irregular heartbeat, and sweating. If it is so consult with your doctor.
• Do not become overheated in hot weather; otherwise heatstroke may occur.
• Central Nervous System :
Tardive dyskinesia with symptoms like involuntary movements; neuroleptic malignant syndrome with the following symptoms: fever, stiff muscles, confusion, abnormal thinking, fast or irregular heartbeat, and sweating; drowsiness, tiredness, excitement, restlessness, hyperactivity, confusion, abnormal dreams and sleeplessness.
• Gastrointestinal : Dry mouth or salivation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, constipation and fecal impaction.
• Genitourinary : Urinary retention, frequency or incontinence, bladder paralysis, spontaneous secretion of milk, moderate breast enlargement in females and breast enlargement in males on large doses and irregular periods.
• Eye and ENT : Constriction/dilatation of pupil, blurred vision and increased eye pressure.
• Heart : Low/high blood pressure and changes in pulse rate.
• Allergic Reactions : Hives, redness, skin inflammation, itching, sensitivity to light, asthma, shock and fever.
Monitor liver, kidney functions and complete blood cell counts regularly while taking this medication.
It should not be used in children less than 12 years old.
Store it at room temperature (20°-25°C).
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Kleine Levin (KLS) or sleeping beauty syndrome is a rare neurological disorder that primarly ...
LADA or Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood is a form of type 1 autoimmune diabetes that can be ...
Sleep paralysis is a condition where one feels unable to move (paralysis) or speak either when ...View All