This medication is an antimicrobial agent, prescribed for pneumonia and for treating leishmaniasis, yeast infections. This medication proved to be an effective antibiotic in children undergoing leukemia treatment.
IV/IM- The recommended dose is 4 mg/kg/day or on alternate days. Total: 7-10 doses.
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of asthma, smoking, decreased level of potassium, magnesium in blood, heart diseases, prolonged QT interval, diabetes, high/low blood pressure, high/low blood sugar, anemia, liver or kidney impairment during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• Monitor: Blood pressure, liver and kidney function, blood-glucose and serum-calcium concentrations and blood counts.
• Most Common:
Vomiting, infection and loss of appetite.
• Body as a Whole : Night sweats, allergic reaction, body odor, swelling in the face/leg, fever, lethargy and chills.
• Heart: Stroke, high/low blood pressure, palpitations, poor blood circulation, fainting, fast heart rate and dilatation of blood vessels.
• Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal cramps, abdominal pain, constipation, dry mouth, indigestion, inflammation of stomach/gum, gastric ulcer, hernia, increased saliva, oral ulcer/abscess and enlargement of the spleen.
• Blood: Anemia, eosinophilia and decreased volume of blood cells.
• Liver : Liver enlargement and liver dysfunction/inflammation.
• Metabolic: Increased/decreased sugar level and decreased calcium concentration.
• Musculoskeletal: Joint/muscle pain and gout.
• Central Nervous System: Headache, anxiety, confusion, depression, drowsiness, frequent mood changes, hallucination, sensory loss, sleeplessness, memory loss, nerve pain, personality disorder, tingling, peripheral nerve damage, seizure, tremors and vertigo.
• Genitourinary: Kidney damage and miscarriage.
• Respiratory : Chest pain, cough, asthma, shortness of breath and wheezing.
• Skin: Desquamation, dry and breaking hair, dry skin, redness, itching, rash and hives.
• Eye and ENT: Bad taste, inflammation of eyelid, conjunctiva, blurred vision, contact lens discomfort, eye pain or discomfort, nonspecific odor and smell.
Avoid excess dosage.
Injection: Before reconstitution: protect from light and keep at room temperature (do not refrigerate as crystals may form); once reconstituted: store at 2-8 °C and use within 24 hours.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!